June Throws a Party: Emily’s Quarter-of-a-Century Celebration!
25 years is quite a milestone. Heck, it’s a quarter of a century! As a 25-year-old young adult, I now have permission to have a quarter-life crisis.
According to Wikipedia, besides my birth, this is what was happening in the world 25 years ago:
- January 3, 1987 – Aretha Franklin becomes the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- February 23, 1987 – Supernova 1987A, the first “naked-eye” supernova since 1604, is observed.
- March 2, 1987 – American Motors Corporation is acquired by the Chrysler Corporation.
- April 19, 1987 – The Simpsons cartoon first appears as a series of shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show.
- May 22, 1987 – The first ever Rugby World Cup kicks off with New Zealand playing Italy at Eden Park, Auckland.
- June 11, 1987 – The Conservative Party of the United Kingdom, led by Margaret Thatcher, is re-elected for a third term at the 1987 General Election.
- July 11, 1987 – The world population is estimated to have reached five billion people, according to the United Nations.
- August 31, 1987 – Michael Jackson releases his hit album, Bad.
- September 28, 1987 – Stark Trek: The Next Generation appears in syndication.
- October 21, 1987 – I’m born 10 weeks early while all my family and friends are having a party at Banana Mac’s. Ask my Auntie Cheryl to tell you the story – it’s priceless. After two months in the incubator, I finally made it home for Christmas!
- November 1, 1987 – InterCity 125 breaks world diesel powered train speed record reaching 147.88 mph.
- December 1, 1987 – NASA announces the names of four companies awarded contracts to build Space Station Freedom: Boeing Aerospace, General Electric’s Astro-Space Division, McDonnell Douglas, and the Rocketdyne division of Rockwell.
Phew! What a year! Being a late Cold War baby must have been exhausting.
To celebrate my whopper of a birthday, I threw a cocktail party for myself in true “June” style. Seven friends gathered in my studio apartment overlooking the Intracoastal Waterway to sip wine and nibble on appetizers. It’s quite a feat to cram seven giggling women into a studio, but I managed! Snacks were served on my Aunt Tiny’s china as FratMusic.com’s “Carolina Frat Shag” radio played in the background – seriously, check it out, it’s Motown oldies! We all wore our best party attire – I busted out a Lilly (what else!).
A few of my lovely guests!
The appetizers, all ready for nibbling! And I couldn’t pass up the technicolor daisies at Publix… they were too cute!
Every party calls for a bar. I served white wine (Fancy Pants Pinot Grigio) and red wine (Apothic Red Winemaker’s Blend). My bottle of Jameson is also hanging out in the back, wearing his life vest just in case he has to jump ship.
It’s my party and I’ll wine if I want to.
After appetizers at my apartment, we all went to The Wine Dive on Clematis Street for dessert… and more wine, of course!